Three Steps during Emergency Water Damage
1. Control the Damage
Your wiring can be impacted, use caution around electricity!
- If damage is being incurred from a plumbing malfunction, immediately shut off the water.
- Move all of your possessions to dry ground such as valuables, documents, and electronics.
- Make sure to document the damage with pictures and/or videos to ensure proof is obtained.
2. Contact Professionals
Tenants notify landlord or management first!
- File a claim with the insurance company
Water Restoration Service Company
- Contact a water damage restoration services company to remove standing water and moisture
- Safety concerns can be addressed with a home inspection
3. Water Removal & Water Damage Restoration
Mold is able to grow within 24 hours so take action immediately!
- Remove free standing water and moisture
- Cut out damaged drywall if needed
- Ventilate area with fans, usually 24-48 hours
- The repair process will vary by each damaged area
Tips for Choosing a Water Damage Restoration Company
- Specialize in your type of water damage (plumbing leak vs. water bed flood)
- Available within 3 hours